Photobucket

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sweatin' it out

Saturday's Iaito class went alright. We worked on several kata: Shohato, Sato, Uto, Atarito, Inyoshintai, Ryuto, Jyunto, Iwanami, Ukifune Gaeshi, Noarashi Gaeshi, the partnered form of Noarashi Gaeshi and finished off the class with Batto. Overall, class wasn't terribly bad. Sensei gave me some things to work on. My back was a bit sore, but it didn't really affect me too much.

Things to fix:
1.) Inyoshintai: don't stay down so low
2.) Sato & Uto: draw while you rise & turn, so that when you are facing forward you are ready to draw
3.) Ryuto: On the final cut, make sure your legs are bent and you are on the balls of your feet


Aikido went alright. The more I go to class, the more I realize just how crappy my technique is! Seriously, aren't you supposed to get better the more you train? Instead I leave feeling worse. This however does not stop me from wanting to go back, but it does lead to moments of frustration which culminates with me mentally mumbling to myself or shaking my head. There were 5 of us in class and like normal, I was the only female. For some reason, all the females in the dojo have taken a hiatus. Where they went.... no one knows. Sensei said a couple should be coming back soon, but no appearances as of yet. One girl will be going back to college sometime in a few weeks.

Anywho, we worked a lot on sankyo, but we also did some shihonage. Oh and we did iriminage for a very short tiny bit. :O) For sankyo, we worked on it from katatedori ai hanmi and gyakyu hanmi. I was able to get the gyakyu hanmi version a little easier then from ai hanmi. We also did sankyo from ushiro ryotetori. Out of all three ways, the ushiro ryotetori was the easiest for me to get, but I have done that one before in the past at my old dojo. For shihonage we worked on it from katatedori ai hanmi. He had us work on this for a while because it is sort of similar with the sankyo because you still are lifting their hand over your head. He was trying to make sure that we weren't letting our arm get behind our head when we were taking their hand over for sankyo or shihonage. We did the irimi and tenkan version for most of the techniques that we did today. Sensei even used me to demonstrate one of the techniques. Of course, I wasn't a very good uke.... at least I wasn't until I figured out that he wanted me to grab his wrist from ai hanmni. I guess I did alright after that. Only he knows for sure. :O)

Things to fix:
1.) Dont let my arm get behind me while doing shihonage or sankyo
2.) Push my center forward sooner as uke for iriminage
3.) Don't dissconnect my body (goes for uke and nage roles)
4.) For sankyo from katatedori ai hanmi, turn my grabbed hand so my thumb is towards the floor. This helps turn their elbow & their body

Aches & Pains:
1.) Back was killing me yesterday, but as of today it is pain free! WHOOHOO!
2.) Nothing else to complain about!

No comments:

Post a Comment