Photobucket

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I felt comfortable for once

Last nights class wasn't bad. For some reason, the entire way to class I felt weird. Almost like I was dizzy or something, but I wasn't. Don't worry though, I wasn't driving. :O) 5:30 rolls around and all of us grab our bokken and line up. We start off with a bunch or strengthening exercises with the bokken and go over basic cuts, movement and we did a few suburi kata as well. I didn't do too bad with these, but I did get mixed up on one. That was only the second week that I have done this, so I am not terribly upset that I didn't get it on a regular basis. The fact that I got it at all a few times is good enough for me right now. Haha.

After that, we put the bokkens down and worked on shihonage from katatedori gyaku hanmi. We must have done about four different variations of shihonage. Most of the variations I haven't done before either. I am proud to say that I was completely comfortable with all but one of the variations. My technique wasn't perfect, but I felt comfortable and didn't feel lost. The one technique that I was having a bit of trouble with I understood what I was supposed to do, but for some reason, I ended up too far infront of my partner. I guess I was taking a big step one way and I tiny step coming back. It was only happening on my right side too. So who knows, but I will get that worked out in due time. All I know is that shihonage is one of the techniques that I seem to get for the most part. It just comes more natural to me then some of the other techniques do.

The sankyo variation I had never done before either. We did this from katatedori ai hanmi. You step back and pull uke towards you a bit, then you step forward through the hole you created and grab sankyo. It wasn't that difficult I thought. I have a problem with sankyo from some other techniques, so I was happy to discover that I actually got the basics of this technique.

I got to work with sensei a few times tonight. Of course, I am always uke! I completely don't mind, as I rather enjoy being tossed around. Plus, working with sensei is just an incredible experience. You feel so much more then you do working with everyone else. My only problem is sensei has these huge wrists, so it can be hard to keep hold of them during a technique! :O)

At the end of class, sensei told two people that he wants to start getting them ready to test for shodan. The third person who will be testing wasn't there. I believe that sensei is going to have them test at next years summer camp. It would be nice if they tested in the dojo so I could see. I think it would be neat to watch. I don't know if I will be able to go to summer camp for a few reasons. The first being that both my husband and I would go, which means paying for two people, the second is we would have to find a place to board our dog and the final reason is that I have no idea if I will even be ready to handle a summer camp with birankai. I am only a 6th kyu and I have no idea when I will test for 5th kyu. I also don't know how long I will be at that rank. I just don't know how much you have to know to feel comfortable and get something out of the experience. I know I would learn, but I don't want to be lost and confused for however many days I attend! It is a year away and a lot could happen, so I won't worry about it now.

Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment