Photobucket

Friday, June 12, 2009

Feeling like an old lady!

Well, last night I could feel the tightness settling in on my shoulders and I was hoping that a hot shower and rest would do me good. Those things did me good, but not enough. :O) My shoulders are still very sore today. I guess they really got tweaked. Any arm lifting where they go above my shoulders makes them tighten up more. Argh! Today is a day of rest and then tomorrow I have iaido for an hour and aikido for an hour and a half. Sensei came back from his seminar and said that Saturdays class will be a good one because he wants to show us a few things they did at the seminar. This basically means that it will not be an easy class. Don't get me wrong, I don't want an easy class. I like the feeling of being sore and having a few bruises. It just goes to show that I am working on something. Whether I am getting better or not is a completely different story though!

I thought about using the good ol' icy-hot or tiger balm last night before bed. There are two things that always keeps me from using it. The first is that if I use it, then I am admitting that I am sore enough to use it. I refuse to admit that some product or pill can help me to feel better, so I endure the aches and pains that are all too common with aikido training. All the while, I am rubbing the stuff on my husband and giving him massages to feel better. Those massages are never reciprocated though. BOO! The second is that the smell will still be there in the morning. I am pretty sure that my coworkers haven't come to actually appreciate the smell of icy-hot or tiger balm! I myself thought they stunk until I started using it on a regular basis when I played varsity tennis in college. When you have 3 hours of practice every day of the week and a game on Saturday, you had to to be ready. I didn't mind biting the bullet for that. Not to mention, my tennis team didn't mind the smell either. I think all sports athletes have an appreciation for the smell. It is like your badge of honor. The evidence that you had a good workout and now you are living to tell the tale. Sure, I could use one of those sports creams that have no odor.... but I am convinced they don't work as well.

The point is, sore or not, my training will continue. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment